Lead English Teacher, TC Williams High School
Alexandria City Public Schools (2014-present).
- English 12 PLC leader, member of school leadership team.
- Design STEM 10 and 11 grade programs as leader of STEM team.
- Teach Dual Enrollment College Composition, Honors English 10, Honors English 12.
Instructor of English: Northern Virginia Community College, Georgetown University and George Mason University.
- NVCC: composition, literature, technical writing, business writing (2005-present).
- Georgetown: Business English (2011-2014).
- George Mason University: developed and taught graduate level course to help teachers publish (2007); co-directed Northern Virginia Writing Project Summer Institute (summer 2006); taught NVWP courses on teaching writing.
Writing Coach and Tutor
- One-on-one college essay coaching for over 80 clients applying to college, graduate school and private schools.
- Edited business book The Friendship Advantage: 7 Keys to Building Relationships that Transform Corporate Culture and Drive Productivity by guru Mo Fathelbab.
- Edited white paper, “Corruption Threatens National Security” by consultant Jack Gaines with Albany Associates, published January 2018.
Director of Programs
The Trust for the George Washington Memorial Parkway (2015-2017)
- Create and run “STEM on the Potomac” program to facilitate partnership between ACPS and the National Park Service.
- Implemented school year tutoring and summer enrichment programs for at risk elementary students from ACPS elementary schools.
Common Core/Great Minds (2013-2015)
- Write CCSS-aligned English curriculum for national distribution in the Wheatley Portfolio.
- Authored published text studies, e.g. Grade 8 Unit 3: “I, Too, Sing America” and “Will V-Day Be Me-Day Too?” by Langston Hughes.
International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program Coordinator
Alexandria City Public Schools (2011-2014).
- Coordinate implementation of IB Middle Years Program in Alexandria City Public Schools at co-housed middle schools and TC Williams High School.
- Collaborate with building principals and division leadership to integrate MYP Framework with ACPS curriculum and other district initiatives.
- Develop and deliver training modules on a regular basis to 140 staff in all subjects grades 6-10; monitor and report on program implementation.
Dean of Students, The Congressional Schools of Virginia
Falls Church, Virginia (2008-2011).
- Manage daily life of K-8th grade 370-student school including design and implementation of affective curriculum; supervise SACS-CASI accreditation process and intern program.
- Create academic summer programs and manage all aspects including staffing, curriculum supervision and marketing.
- Developed Tripps Run Outdoor Learning Center and Discovery Trail to leverage asset of 40-acre campus, including innovative Giant’s Reading garden for Early Childhood Program.
English teacher, Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology
Fairfax County Public Schools (2005- 2008).
- Dugout canoe project at historic Mount Vernon with 100 tenth graders: won $10K grant; wrote curriculum and coordinated with Alexandria Seaport Foundation; displayed in the Smithsonian Folklife Festival and gifted canoe to a Virginian tribe (Upper Mattaponi).
- Lead teacher in ninth grade interdisciplinary program; also taught English 10, AP English 12. Served on School Improvement Plan evaluation team.
Director of Summer Programs and Language Arts Department Chair, Alexandria Country Day School
Alexandria, Virginia (2003-2005).
- Hired and managed staff of 20, including design and support of programs; created advertising materials and directed marketing. Raised gross revenue more than 300%.
- Taught English 8; vertically aligned school language arts curriculum; implemented faculty inservices.
- Developed and implemented school-wide experiential education program which included curriculum-related overnight camping trips, rock-climbing.
Fairfax County Public Schools (1993- 2003).
- Mount Vernon High School, Fairfax County Public Schools (1993-2003): lead teacher in International Baccalaureate program; coordinator of IB “CAS” (Creativity, Action and Service) program for 300 students.
- Bryant Alternative High School, Fairfax County Public Schools (2000-2004): English 12 for adult students.
Outward Bound leader
Voyageur Outward Bound School, Ely MN (summers 1992-1994).
- Led month-long canoe trips with at-risk youth in remote wilderness areas.
- Trained in first aid, CPR, lifeguarding, rock-climbing, and group initiatives.
- Harvard Firstyear Outdoor Program leader, SOLO Wilderness First Responder (‘88-‘91).